Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The story of SoupCan Jones

When we first moved into our house we noticed a black squirrel hanging out in our yard. He looks kind of creepy...kind of a hybrid between a rat and a squirrel. Prior to living here, I had never seen a black squirrel. So, out of curiosity I googled them and found an interesting wikipedia article. Apparently there are populations of black squirrels throughout the country but they are still pretty rare...1 in every 10,000. Having been in this neighborhood a few months now, I can tell you that there is a population of black squirrels in Pittsford. More specifically, there is a population of black squirrels in the Charter Oaks and Knickerbocker neighborhoods.

The other part of the story is that we have a squirrel infestation. I guess that comes with living in a wooded area. At any given time, when you look out our window, you can see at least five squirrels in our yard. Usually there are more and there are chipmunks too. It's Squirrel Central. A few months back David and Jack decided to name some of our new friends. Jack suggested that the black squirrel be named SoupCan. I still have no idea where this came from since his other friends' names are pretty boring (ie, Teddy, Big Dog). David then decided SoupCan needed a last name. That's when SoupCan Jones was born.

Originally SoupCan Jones was the black squirrel who lived on our property. But now, Lily calls any squirrel SoupCan Jones. She stands at the window in the morning and announces, "There's Soupcan. There's SoupCan Jones." I don't think she knows the meaning of the word squirrel.

David managed to snap a photo of SoupCan the other day...


soupcan



And here's Lily with my sister this past weekend. Our daughter didn't get a puppy or a unicorn or kitten for her birthday. No, she got a big ole' SoupCan Jones puppet. Yes, I know he's not a black squirrel. But as I mentioned, Lily refers to any squirrel as SoupCan Jones. She has been marching around with SoupCan for the past few days. I also found a squirrel t-shirt at Baby Gap. I have to wonder how many parents are buying their daughters squirrel clothing.

When you visit our house you'll have to be on the lookout for the 64 Stuyvesant mascot.

IMG_7016

8 comments:

Carrie said...

PS I don't know what Brian was having SoupCan say but Lily has been trying to mimic him. It makes me laugh.

Erin said...

This entire post just makes me laugh. I absolutely LOVE that they named the squirrel soup can jones. That is a story that will stick with them throughout life. I LOVE that!!! I hope to visit and meet soupcan jones some day. Come to think of it.... soupcan jones sounds like a good name for a band... you know, like when the Archer family takes their show on the road. :-)

Bridge said...

You know, my friends have also said that SoupCan Jones would be a great band name, so Carrie get your lawyer to copyright that pronto.

Tracy Fan said...

We are bringing Lucy home for thanksgiving and if you would like a soup can squirrel jumpsuit she will need approximately 5 min in your back yard.

What a lovely christmas idea

Kevin

Moe said...

This is the funniest darn thing I have read in a long time. True, Soupcan Jones would make a nifty band name, but it would also make a great name for a hobo. Or a clown.

I have to say, a lot of times I read your posts and I really feel like we are leading parallel lives. Do you remember me telling you about the white squirrel population we had in Albany? Just like your black ones, the albinos are rare, but we had TONS Of them, and sometimes they would breed with the regular brown squirrels and have these silvery offspring. Also, like you, ours had names. When Colleen and Greg came to visit right after Attie was born, they were watching them out our back window and for some reason Colleen started referring to a pair of them as Whitey and Jessica Alba (Alba, Albino--get it?) I have to say, though, your black squirrels are much nastier-looking. I thought our white squirrels with their pink eyes were sinister, but those giant rats you've got running around your neighborhood look like they probably would bite and hiss if you came within five feet of them, and then slash your tires for good measure when your back is turned. Good thing the kids are on friendly terms with them because I'm thinking it probably wouldn't be such a great idea to cross them.

Carrie said...

Agree on the band, but also have to agree on sounding like a hobo. Kev, there is nothing I can think of wanting more for Christmas than a stole made out of black squirrel pelts. Pass on that one. Moe, we can write a children's book about the adventures of Whitey, Jessica Alba and Soupcan Jones.

Pat said...

I think you ladies better start writing that children's series.....
"SoupCan Goes to Albany", "Whitey and Jessica meet SoupCan on Stuyvesant", "Lucy Has LUNCH".....that may be the end of the series.

Nicole said...

Haha Pat, that's great! I think you girls should get on with the writing. This does sounds eerily familiar to the movie Funny Farm with Chevy Chase. Anyone remember that one?
Although do we get the proceeds from the Lucy chapter? It probably will be the top seller.